Bell Meadow Recreation Ground development
The Parish Council is planning to develop of use of this area of land so as to convert it to a small play area for children and a pleasant area for strolling and sitting, meeting friends and generally enjoying an open space. The play equipment will be in a suitably sympathetic material and will be sited in the bottom left corner, away from the road. Consideration is being made for the wildlife, flora and fauna that thrives in this area and various agencies are being consulted.
Council is looking to create:
- A woodland walk
- Fencing on the stream bank for safety
- Cleared ditches between the meadow and the allotments
- Short and long grass areas to encourage more wildlife variety
- Retain some existing shrub land
- Plant native hedging, fruiting trees and wild flowers
- A pergola with seats
- Benches and mown paths around a more general central sports area
- Signs showing the types of wildlife that might be found for interest
- Bat boxes, bird boxes and bug hotels
To this end, a landscape designer was appointed and created a design. This was publicised in late spring 2019.
A flood assessment was required, as the land is next to the river.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust were initially consulted and then asked to complete a survey. They will continue to be involved during the development of the project
Council have already submitted a pre-planning application and received favourable feedback, particularly as there is no other play equipment in the village. Council are now submitting a full planning application for change of use. To view this application go to //www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/planning/planning-applications/publicaccess/