Vacancies & Co-options
All councillors are either elected to the Council or are Co-Opted. There are 7 positions for Councillors on Heveningham Parish Council.
There is no remuneration however all Councillors are expected to take the training offered and will be reimbursed for any expenses such as mileage, stationery etc.
All Councillors must sign and declare a Declaration of Interest where they list their local interests and memberships and those of their spouse or partners. For instance, as well as a house, there may be land that they own or they have another property in the area that they rent out
An election is held every 4 years automatically and co-ordinated by the District Council. Alternatively, an election can be held if a Vacancy arises on the Council and 10 or more members of the electorate ask for the vacancy to be put to an election.
A Co-option will occur if there is a vacancy on the council and no election is asked for, as detailed above. Council will advertise for people to apply to be a Councillor. At a Council meeting, the Council will then debate and vote on the appointment of anyone who has appllied to be co-opted onto the Council The Councillors are not obliged to appoint anyone who has applied, irrespective of whether the vacancy will be left unfilled.
In order to be come a councillor, an individual must be:
- Over 18
- British Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Irish Republic or a relevant citizen of the European Union
- A local government elector for the area of Heveningham and are registered on the electoral register on the day of becoming a candidate and the day of the election or;
- You have occupied or resided, as owner or a tenant, any land or premises in the Heveningham area during the whole of the 12 months before the day you become a candidate or;
- Your principal or only place of work in the twelve months preceding the day on which you are nominated as a candidate has been in the area of the authority; or has, during the whole of the twelve months preceding the day on which he is nominated as a candidate, resided in the area of the authority.
You are not eligible to become a candidate if you:
- Are subject to any legal incapacity
- Been declared bankrupt
- Had any of your estate sequestrated (seized)
- Had a criminal sentence of more than 3 months (suspended or not) without the option of a fine, during the previous 5 years